Ministry of Earth Sciences
Government of India
Call for Proposals in the area of Geosciences/Seismicity
Ministry of Earth Sciences, the nodal agency for promotion of Earth Sciences related studies in the country, plans to launch i) a major programme in Andaman & Nicobar Island to understand the geodynamics of the region and ii) to develop damage scenarios for various Urban centers lie in the vicinity of Himalaya.
1. Crustal structure studies: delineation of deep structures by seismological (including ocean bottom seismometer), seismic, heat flow and gravity methods, and surface or shallow subsurface structures using GPR, shallow seismic, resistivity, geological methods, etc.
2. Earthquake occurrence processes: seismological, geodetic methods, and dating of coral and paleoseismological & paleotsunami deposits.
3. Detailed plate motion: Geodetic methods, dating of coral and paleoseismological & paleotsunami deposits.
4. Geodynamic models: structure and thermal modelling using the above information, investigation on relation between earthquake occurrence in the frontal Arc and volcanic eruption in the back Arc, paleo-reconstruction for arc evolution.
5. Tsunami modeling: development of various scenarios for the island and coastal India regions.
6. Structure safety and public awareness: Structural engineering research and improvement in practices, training and public awareness about earthquake, tsunami.